Privateer entered Navy service during the late summer of 1944. VPB-118
and VPB-119 were the first Fleet squadrons to equip with the Privateer.
The first overseas deployment began on January 6, 1945, when VPB-118
left for operations in the Marianas. By the end of the war, thirteen
Navy squadrons were equipped with Privateers, and a further five
squadrons had a combination of Privateers and Liberators flying with
aircraft was a PB4Y-2 Navy Patrol Bomber stationed at Sand Point at the
time of the crash. This Privateer, #59695 now rests in over 130 feet of
water. Little is known about the incident that resulted in this crash.
The incident occurred on August 26, 1956, shortly after takeoff from
Sand Point Naval Air Station. News reports of the time indicate the 11
naval reservists on board swam to safety but the plane sank within five
PB4Y-2 now rests on its landing gear. The rear gun turret as well as
the forward (nose) turret is intact. On the fuselage, the two top
turrets are missing. The Cockpit area is in excellent condition. The
two inboard engines are missing. This occurred when the Navy attempted
to lift the bomber out of the water. The skin is in very good condition
with minor deterioration on the horizontal stabilizers.
in at 64,000 pounds the Privateer has a 110-foot wing span. Fifty
caliber machine guns are mounted in the nose, tail, and mid fuselage
areas. The aircraft can carry 12,800 pounds of bombs. The above
examples were converted to fight forest fires.