|The Privateer entered Navy service during the late summer of 1944. VPB-118
and VPB-119 were the first Fleet squadrons to equip with the Privateer. The first overseas
deployment began on January 6, 1945, when VPB-118 left for operations in the Marianas. By
the end of the war, thirteen Navy squadrons were equipped with Privateers, and a further
five squadrons had a combination of Privateers and Liberators flying with them.
This aircraft was a PB4Y-2 Navy Patrol Bomber
stationed at Sand Point at the time of the crash. This Privateer, #59695 now rests in over
130 feet of water. Little is known about the incident that resulted in this crash. The
incident occurred on August 26, 1956, shortly after takeoff from Sand Point Naval Air
Station. News reports of the time indicate the 11 naval reservists on board swam to safety
but the plane sank within five minutes.
The PB4Y-2 now rests on its landing gear.
The rear gun turret as well as the forward (nose) turret is intact. On the fuselage, the
two top turrets are missing. The Cockpit area is in excellent condition. The two inboard
engines are missing. This occurred when the Navy attempted to lift the bomber out of the
water. The skin is in very good condition with minor deterioration on the horizontal
Weighing in at 64,000 pounds the
Privateer has a 110-foot wing span. Fifty caliber machine guns are mounted in the nose,
tail, and mid fuselage areas. The aircraft can carry 12,800 pounds of bombs. The
above examples were converted to fight forest fires.